ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-08 > 1092657079

Subject: Re: Bunting
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:51:19 -0400

In an email dated 16/8/2004 11:53:24 am GMT Daylight time, "patricia salter" <> writes:

>Yes, Geoff, but that is in connection with the 20th century - my bunting
>room appeared in the late 17th century when I am sure they did not celebrate
>events with what we call bunting today.

>From: "Geoff Lewin BLAXALL" <>
>
>> Maybe I'm a bit thick, but Bunting for me has always been those itsy bitsy
>flag-like squares & triangles on long tapes that one strings up on VE-Day,
>VJ-Day and similar village jaunts/celebrations  ???

Just to throw another stone in the pond to see how far the ripples spread:

I did a search for 'Bunting' on www.Dictionary.com. One of the hits suggested an alternative form of the word in 'Buntine'. Bunting/buntine was/is a name for finely sifted flour. It speculates the sieving was done using a woollen cloth which today is used mainly for making flags. <I paraphrase>.

Anybody got a copy of the full OED handy???

DaveD

This thread: