ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-08 > 1091690595

From: Telepathic <>
Subject: Re: Tiptree, Maypole Pub photo
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:23:15 +0100

I've heard of the Order of Water Rats, but not of Water Buffaloes! My
father is a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes
(commonly known as Buffs), which has been going well over a hundred
years. He described it as "poor man's masons" or "grown-ups' scouts".
They meet regularly, have arcane ceremonies, and give themselves medals
and titles, like the masons. More importantly, they raise a lot of money
for various charities and do a lot of good work. There are Buff "lodges"
all over the country, and indeed in other countries too. According to my
dad, who is 81, the average age of Buffs is about 90, as fewer and fewer
young people are interested in things like that. Shame really, because
they do so many good works.

Linda

Lawrence Greenall wrote:

> My grandad F H Greenall (born 1907 at Upshire) was a lifelong member
of the
> Grand Order of Water Buffaloes which indeed was/is? a similar sort of
> philanthropic setup to the Masons. I believe I even tried to track
them down
> a couple of decades ago, and found that they then held regular
meetings in
> one of our local pubs, so maybe they're still wallowing about as
strongly as
> ever?
>
> Lawrence

This thread: