ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-07 > 1090269704

From: "Lawrence Greenall" <>
Subject: RE: Christian name
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:41:44 +0100

My Pryors came to Waltham Abbey in 1756 after the wife inherited a lot of
property in a will. She was last in a long line of beneficiaries and it
seems obvious that she never expected to get anything. Her distant relative
who left it all to her had the surname ALBURY (though there was no standard
spelling, this is my favoured version for no good reason - I don't think
it's a variant of AUBREY), and every generation of Pryors since then (at
least up to the end of the 19th C) has always had at least one Albrey Pryor,
or some such spelling ranging from Ailbury to Elberberry. There is still one
tombstone in the local cemetery to "Elbrey ('Ebb') Pryor" who died in the
1890s - I often wonder if he knew where his own name came from, over a
century before his birth.

When researching their 17th-18th Century yeoman Pryor ancestry up in NW
Essex, mainly through wills, it was apparent that many double-barrelled
surnames were being formed at marriage, and from the evidence I could sift
out it would seem that this usually happened when the bride's family were
'better off' than the groom's; my conclusion was that the couple's surname
instantly advertised to all their peers exactly who they were, not in terms
of individual achievement but in terms of inherited status/power/wealth
etc., of which they almost appear to have seen themselves as custodians or
guardians rather than creators or developers.

I do have to add that there seemed another possible cause - these families
were quite select in which other families they married into; though their
community was far too large for us to even consider inbreeding, they did
tend to stick to their own kind, often traversing several parishes to do so
(which in itself begins to suugest a certain amount of 'arrangement' in the
weddings), and so the range of possible forename-surname combinations must
have got used up rather quickly. Therefore, could the forming of
double-barrels have been a way of creating a new range of surnames for the
expanding group to utilise, whilst also retaining all the old references to
inherited status?

Lawrence

This thread: