ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-07 > 1090221726

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: Odd Christian names
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:22:06 +0100

Hello,

It's the Latin for "seventh". The 1881 Census has 45 people with that name.
There was also one Quintus ("fifth") and 29 people called Octavius (eighth).
I imagine that originally, such names were given to the seventh, fifth and
eighth children born in a family, but a quick look at the 1881 entries shows
that by then, this was not always the case. Indeed, even back in Roman
times, the significance of the "number-name" was sometimes lost. The site:
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Roman_naming_convention says, "The names
Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius, and Decimus
mean, respectively, 'first', 'second', 'third', 'fifth', 'sixth', 'seventh',
'eighth', and 'tenth', and were originally given to second, third, etc. sons
in birth order. There are, however, abundant examples of this birth-number
significance being later lost: Sextus Pompeius, for instance, was not a
sixth son. A possible explanation for this is that the numerical praenomen
came instead to stand for the number of the month in which the person was
born. "

Elizabeth BARRETT-BROWNING (wife of the poet Robert BROWNING) had brothers
called Septimus and Octavius.

So...the name Septimus certainly didn't originate in Wales.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
David Lamb (Paignton, Devon, UK)
Interests (Essex): BAXTER, BERRY, EREY, GOLDSTONE, LAMB, MOTT, PARTRIDGE,
SARGENT, TICHBORNE, WEBB, WHEELER, WILLSHER
(Suffolk): BRYNGLOVE, CRISPE, FINCH, PARTRIDGE, PORTER, PRATT