ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-03 > 1080668673

From: "Geoffrey Leake" <>
Subject: Re: webfamily.org.uk - The Source
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:45:04 +0100

A couple of weeks ago, I checked the GRO indexes for 1996 to 2002 at the
Family Records Centre in London, after a friend in Canada found the names of
two of her recently deceased relatives on http://www.webfamily.org.uk/ ,
together with two unknowns with the same surname (an uncommon name).

It seemed clear that the names had been culled from the Death Indexes at the
FRC. These recent indexes give the full name, birth date, registration
district, full reference (for certificates) and month of registration. All
the GRO entries for that surname were included on "webfamily", listing just
the full names with years of birth and death.

I've just checked the names of two of my cousins who died in 2000 - they're
there. Is it possible for such a comprehensive list of new data to have
been obtained other than by downloading from the original computer files?

Geoffrey Leake.
http://www.leake.dsl.pipex.com/Family/Leake_Side/Atterton/Archive/archive.html