ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-12 > 1072804981

From: Guy Etchells <>
Subject: Re: English civil wars, was Re: Need Help.
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:23:05 +0000

It was hardly the King who fell out with Parliament but rather the
Commons who fell out with both the Lords and the King that sparked the
first of the English civil wars.
The first civil war lasted from 1642-1646 the second 1646-1649 ended
with the treasonous rump parliament (59 signed the King's death warrant
143 members were refused access) and the death of the King.
In the dictatorship that followed there was no King and the Lords was
soon abolished as "usless and dangerous" and it was not until 1660 that
commonsense prevailed and Cromwellianism was swept away.
Cheers
Guy

--
Wakefield, England
http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells The site that gives you facts

http://www.archivecdbooks.org Where you find the answer
http://www.framland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ Worldwide Cemetery Links,
Monumental Inscriptions, War Graves, etc.

This thread: