ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-12 > 1071663466

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: INQUESTS - help
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:17:46 +0000

Sue, the advice from "Tracing your Ancestors at the Public Record
Office" is that inquest reports rarely survive. "The survival of
coroner's inquests after 1850 is not good - it is probably easier and
more rewarding to search for a newspaper report rather than for the
coroner's record". If records do survive they will be in the local
record office.
If you want to find the relevant local newspaper, look in the British
Library Newspaper catalogue searchable by date and place
http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/newspapers.html
then see if a local library or record office has copies and will do a
search.
I found quite a lot about an ancestor who committed suicide from the
newspaper report of his inquest - dated the day after his death.
Anne
On 17 Dec 2003, at 11:17, Sue wrote:

> I have just received a copy of my gr. grandfathers death cert and
> found that there was an inquest, he died aged 55 in 1897.
>
> 1. Is it possible to get a copy of the inquest, and where on earth
> from? I know he died in Poplar/Bow area, which was then in Middlesex,
> and that he had cardiac failure, attributed to typhoid. He was
> working at a water company.
>
> 2. Would I find out any info, other than that I have ( as above)from
> the inquest papers?
>
> TIA for any suggestions

This thread: