ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-11 > 1069370604

From: Guy Etchells <>
Subject: Re: New town - Harlow
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:23:32 +0000

It certainly was as Essex 1899 Kelly's Directory(Reference #0659)
page 206 shows - in 1891 the population of Harlow was 479.

> writes:
>>Colleen .... are you sure about the years for Harlow ... my great
>>grandfather emigrated to Australia in 1842 he was born in 1821 in Stebbing and his
>>sister was born in Harlow 1832 and brother in 1832 ... or is there 'another'
> Hi Sandie
> Basildon was a small village, but when the New Town was built the town took
> on the name. The New Town swallowed up large tracts of land some of which was
> scrub and heath and some of which was farming land of variable quality. The
> Dunton plotlands were on part of the land now under the control of Basildon
> Council.
> I suspect that Harlow was similar, so your ancestors could indeed have been
> born in a village or small town called Harlow which has long since been buried
> under the concrete and landscaping of the modern town.
> Dave D

Wakefield, England The site that gives you facts
not promises!

Look ups by permission of Archive CD Books Worldwide Cemetery Links,
Monumental Inscriptions, War Graves, etc.

This thread: