ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-06 > 1056439467

From: Ruth Aylett <>
Subject: Re: chyrch church family essex england
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:24:33 +0100

Holly has made some excellent points there. I know from my own experience
though that the difference between primary, secondary and tertiary sources
has to be learned - nobody starts off understanding this unless they have
studied history professionally, and most of us haven't. When I started on
Aylett history, I found a lot of information on the IGI and it took me more
than a year of checking sources to understand that a large part of it
relating to families of the 16th-17thC was nothing more than (wrong) guesses
by LDS members, and worse still, another chunk was based on a set of early
20thC forged letters.

I'm not sure if it's as true in the UK, but a minority of those interested
in family history in the US (and I am _not_ referring to our recent visitor)
are _so_ keen to be associated with ancient and/or glamorous ancestors that
they swallow rumours from any half-baked - or even unscrupulous - source. My
Aylett study showed this was particularly true in Virginia in the 19th-early
20thC: the forged Aylett letters I just mentioned gave the local Ayletts a
set of glamorous knighted ancestors instead of the merchants they were
probably descended from. The family of the day believed these letters deeply
and implicitly, and those few remaining still do. They did not want that
belief challenged either. The web is a great communication medium but it
communicates rubbish just as well as good information, and it takes a while
to realise this and become more sceptical about what you read.

Ruth
----

--
Ruth Aylett Professor of Intelligent Virtual Environments
Centre for Virtual Environments, Business House, University of Salford

This thread: