ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-06 > 1056436936

From: "Holly McKenzie" <>
Subject: RE: chyrch church family essex england
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:42:46 +0100

While the brevity of her visit and unorthodox approach to grammar left me
shaking my head, what I did find to be upsetting were the comments she had
made about hiring a professional genealogist to do her research. Surely a
skilled professional would be able to identify Castle Camps as in
Cambridgeshire -- I did check Kelly's Directory for 1929 and, while it
mentioned some land was transferred from the parish of Helions Bumpstead in
Essex to Castle Camps in Cambridgeshire, it did not say that Castle Camps
had previously been part of Essex.

I was also concerned about the reliance upon Ancestry: "how i listed this is
from ancestry .com so I apologize in advance for mis spellings or wrong
areas", "sorry for spelling thats how it is on my paper from ancestry. com",
"the documents that i have is from ancestry.com birth records, church
records..." and "the townships that they were from was from ancestry and
other professional genealogists that i have hired and who has helped me".

Ancestry can be very helpful as a guidance tool, pointing out possibilities,
connecting users with other researchers where they can then discuss their
source material (which we have all copied down religiously since the time we
started!), but perhaps it could be made clearer to newbies the difference
between primary, secondary and tertiary sources -- not to mention those
source-less leaps of logic (flights of fancy?) made by researchers of every
era. I'm not condemning Ancestry, just aware that very much of what is
there should be taken with a grain of salt. As for professional
genealogists who are unable to do geography, I guess it's the same as with
every service and you should check credentials before hiring. Despite her
being in the USA and needing to hire a UK genealogist, my family history
magazines are frequently listing e-mail addresses and websites both for
checking credentials and for contacting the genealogists. It's not
impossible to do from overseas. Everything in this "hobby" requires careful
consideration.

Oh well. It's a shame she unsubscribed. She was getting a lot of good and
helpful information. No one had taunted or insulted her, just asked
questions about the quality of the records she was relying upon for her
family tree. Family trees become a gift to pass along to future
generations. I can remember my excitement at finding a family diary from
the early 20th century; I can imagine the excitement a descendant of hers
may feel to find a family tree stretching back to the 14th century. But
once that descendant starts to look at it in detail and investigate further,
will he/she be grateful to gggg-grandma for writing it all down? Or will it
take years -- and money -- to sort out the reality from the guesses?

Hopping down off my soapbox
Holly
Cambridge, UK
(north-west of Castle Camps)