ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-06 > 1056223321

From: Ruth Aylett <>
Subject: Re: chyrch church family essex england
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:22:12 +0100

Pam,

The first thing to do is check what _original source_ the information from
ancestry.com is using. Anything as far back as 1300 predates parish records
(by about 250 years) and probably derives from Pipe Rolls or other sources
originally in Latin. Your chances of connecting any individual that far back
with anyone later is very low - if anyone claims they have it is likely they
have merely assumed that people with the same family name were related,
which is very shaky ground. Thus he may or may not be anything to do with
the John Chyrch of Castle Camps in Cambridgeshire. The ancestry.com info
cannot be very good anyway if it located Castle Camps in Essex.

The Richard Church ref should also be checked as the parish register for
Braintree does not go as far back as 1610 as far as I remember, though there
is some data from the 4 and 20, the vestry, who acted as a sort of town
council in this period. You may be lucky enough to find some land records
citing your guy, and for this you should search the Essex RO SEAX service at
http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/heritage/ero/seax/. It is also worth searching the
PRO catalogue and online records at www.pro.gov.uk in case he was involved
in any litigation. Then try the Calendar of State Papers Domestic (available
in very large libraries) for any refs to him and also the Calendar of State
Papers covering the American Colonies (and the West Indies) for which I
don't remember the exact title.

Beware of wishful thinking and sloppy research - just because someone's
guesses appear in ancestry.com doesn't make it good or useful information.

Ruth
----

--
Ruth Aylett Professor of Intelligent Virtual Environments
Centre for Virtual Environments, Business House, University of Salford

This thread: