ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-06 > 1054491650

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: PERRY, CARTER, LEAN & DAY - stories of Harlow
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:20:50 +0100

Hello all,

Doing a bit of gardening outside my cottage this morning, when two elderly
(in age, but not in spirit) ladies walked past on their way home from the
churchyard and we got chatting, as you do. What fascinating stories they
told me over a cup of tea.

Lorah, aged 84, told me that she was born a Perry, her family have lived in
Old Harlow for hundreds of years, some of them keeping local shops. Her
mother went to Churchgate School and used to have to paddle through the ford
across the brook next to my cottage to get to and from school and her
grandfather and earlier generations of Perrys kept sheep which grazed on
Glebe meadow, across the road from me and in the churchyard next door to it.
Her mother was ladies maid to a mother superior - probably at the Ware in
Old Harlow. She remembers many of the local shop keepers, most way before I
was born. Lorah married a Day, but not the Churchgate Street Days who were
tailors.

Evelyn, aged 86, was born a Carter - in the cottage next door to the White
Horse Pub in Hart Road, Old Harlow - you have that one, don't you Ian? She
married a Lean. Evelyn told me that she remembered soldiers being stationed
(recuperating from wounds, I think) at what is now the Swallow Churchgate
Hotel. Both ladies had been friends since they went to school together at
Forbert and Barnards School, Old Harlow - 'Forwards and Backwards' was known
by that nickname around 80 years ago as it still is.

They both remembered some of the widows who'd lived in my cottage when it
was still an almshouse, 70 or so years ago. Lorah had been inside too at
that time. Her mother lived here before WW1 and had been introduced to the
lad who was to become Lorah's father by one of the old almshouse widows
during WW1.

Is anyone researching these Harlow families? If you are, lucky you, these
ladies are two rare jewels for family history researchers, lovely ladies
too.

Colleen

This thread: