ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-03 > 1048710116

Subject: Re: English pancakes
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:21:56 EST

writes:

> . Just what, pray tell, is 'Tiggy-Oggy' Dave?

Sorry Trudi, I spelt it wrong - it didn't look right when I sent it. The
correct spelling is 'Tiddy Oggie' and it's a form of Cornish Pastie using
only potatoes.

Cornish tin miners weren't well paid and the soil they handled was loaded
with tin and arsenic, so they developed a kind of pie that was cheap to make,
easy to carry and safe to eat. The traditional pastie looks a bit like a
stone with the pastry join formed into a fold along the top - a bit like a
'Mohican' hairstyle. The pastie would be taken the mine wrapped in a cloth or
handkerchief and at lunchtime the miner would unwrap the pastie, and hold it
by the fold like a handle. When they had finished they would throw the fold
away - along with all the dirt, etc, on it.

There is often talk about having jam at one end and meat at the other (with a
pastry divider between them!) so that the eater could start with a savoury
course and move onto the sweet, but from what I understand this was NEVER
part of the Cornish tradition - they never had enough money to waste on
fripperies like jam (jelly to those in the US!). The sweet and savoury pasty
was actually from the Bedford area and was known as a Bedford Clanger.

See <A HREF="http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/food/pastie.htm">http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/food/pastie.htm</A>; for a traditional
pastie recipe, but they repeat the lie about the sweet end. 'Swede' is also
known as rutabaga in some parts of the world. Plain flour is just finely
milled wheat flour with no rising agents added.

DaveD

This thread: