ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-02 > 1045222485

Subject: Re: Occupation Question:
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:34:45 -0500

In an email dated Sat, 15 Feb 2003 4:29:07 am GMT, Susan Perrett <> writes:

>An Ag. Lab. is someone who works on the land - Agricultral Labourer
>
>At 09:05 PM 13/02/2003 -0500, Shelley Cameron wrote:
>>Could sks please tell me what is meant by Labourer {Ag}?.
>>
>>Shelley
>
>Susan,
>Victoria, Australia.

Within the Ag Lab description there was a definite hierarchy based on the type of work involved and the skills required.

I'm not sure of the actual descriptions, but a person hoeing the turnip crop would have been lower down than the person who looked after the horses, for example. Later on when steam engines came into common use a machineman would have had a different place in the hierarchy from the man that steered the plough as it was pulled across the field between the two engines.

Even within the same work there was a hierarchy - the gang that cut the corn had a 'King' or foreman (see Flora Thompson's book 'Lark Rise' for details of how it was done in Juniper Hill near Brackley < Northants/Oxford borders>). If you want to hear details of harvesting in the 1930s told in true Essex tongue try http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/heritage/ero/soundarchives/q01.html

Dave D

This thread: