ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-01 > 1043324151

From: "Alec" <>
Subject: Re: St Laurence Church
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:15:51 -0000
References: <009401c2c1c0$629af800$84f932d2@i0l4o7> <002401c2c277$01e9ee00$294c4e51@freeserve.co.uk> <000b01c2c2ac$6c062260$625132d2@i0l4o7>

Read what is written -I did not say it came from that elegy only that he was "probably most famous for"
Alec
From: Robert Cunning
To: Alec
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: St Laurence Church

You have your views, I have mine and your remarks about ignorance show the level of yours. Don't bother replying, you have joined a select few on my "blocked sender's" list. Speaking of ignorance Gray wrote "Elegy written in a country Churchyard" and the line you quoted is NOT In that poem. That phrase is in another of his works "Ode to a Distant Prospect of Eton College.

I recommend you make sure your facts are correct!

Bob Cunning

From: Alec
To: Robert Cunning
Cc:
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: St Laurence Church

For those who think gravestones and churches are irrelevant to genealogy I proffer the words of Thomas Gray, probably most famous for his 'Elegy In A Country Churchyard'
".......where ignorance is bliss,
'Tis folly to be wise."

I, for one, have gained from such searches and I am sure there are others.
Alec

From: "Robert Cunning" <>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 2:35 AM
Subject: Re: St Laurence Church

> I thought this discussion had ended. We all sympathize, but this is NOT THE
> SITE to keep on repeating the message. And yes, I for one am sick to death
> of hearing about it and intend to delete all further messages. Bob in
> Australia.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Frederick Feather" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 6:16 AM
> Subject: St Laurence Church
> > Dear All,
> > As my wife and I started the St. Laurence enquiry, may I please comment.
> > We spend much time running around the county, answering enquiries for
> > Canadians, Australians and Americans. My society has about five teams
> > within Essex, some quite elderly, crawling through long grass, avoiding
> > snakes, falling down holes, their purpose to locate and preserve the
> > inscriptions on graves. Soaking wet they end up in pubs like the
> > Marlborough Head in Rochford, another good job done, another churchyard
> > recorded for others to benefit. They then put the results to another
> > member, who is building the Essex Burial Index for posterity.
> > But horror, your family-minded foreigner pays for an expensive trip over
> > here and bingo -someone has dug their relative up and the grave has
> > gone.
> > Oh, mate! - Don't desecrate, don't excavate poor Grandad. Oh dear!
> > Oh Fred, although he is dead - let him ruminate in peace - Mate.
> > (From-They are moving Grandad's grave to build a Sewer - The Goons.)
> > I think that real genealogy is helping others. People here (and I am
> > sure there also) are doing things. Despite Mick Daniels's rather joky
> > style, I am with him on this. This really is not a political matter, it
> > is a matter of how you feel about life. It worries me that there may be
> > people who could forget how these matters actually get recorded.
> > I can see why some might have been irritated, but our volunteers who
> > read these messages need to know how much they are valued. The doors of
> > St.Laurence have swung on the same hinges for 20 generations and now
> > someone wants to knock it down to cover the limited period when planes
> > fly in the same way they do at present.
> > We have never campaigned before. No-more to say. Thank you Elmo - there
> > are yellow ribbons all over the trees of St.Laurence churchyard.
> > Dances with Wolves on TV tonight - bet the Indians (sorry First Nation)
> > get niggled when paleface violate their spirit grounds.
> > Fred,
> > Chairman,
> > Essex Society for Family History.
> > >Michael,
> > >
> > >Being retired college professors of biology and chemistry, we are quite
> > >familiar with the posterior anatomy of the rat tribe and many others,
> > >including Homo sapiens. Thanks for recognizing our superior knowledge.
> > >Now, let's put St. Laurence to rest and get on with genealogy.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >Thanks to Dave and Bob for their forthright comments apropos the church
> > >discussion.
> > >Also those from the Harris's in the US were noted. Must admit doing
> family
> > >history, I never had cause to focus on the posterior anatomy of the rat
> > >tribe, thus best now I
> > >bow to the these lister's obvious superior knowledge.
> > >