ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2003-01 > 1043179829

From: "Eleanor Ross" <>
Subject: Re: St Laurence Church
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:13:54 -0800

Dear All,

I've learned to keep my mouth shut most of the time but I'd like to add my
point of view, briefly, to this discussion. I live on the west coast of B.
C. Canada on a little island that has a heli pad available for medical
emergencies - so no large air field problems here. We also have an old
postoffice building that looks like a large size out door biffy but it's
very special. People come to visit the island and are charmed by
this -maybe - 200 sq ft building that's maybe 75 years old. There's a very
small church near it which is unused most of the time in the way it was
intended. It's probably about the same age. People stop and look at it and
if encouraged actually open the door and go inside. And they come back out
with soft peaceful smiles on their faces. Those buildings are old to us.

My point is that old buildings matter and to someone like me so far away
from Essex, just the fact that they are and, that they are where maybe my
ancestors walked, is magical.

I started looking for ancestors as a way to help one of my grandchildren
with a school project. What I've found is that it has given me something so
very important and that is a context for me & my life. Old buildings are
part of that.

OK I'm done.

Eleanor, Cortes Island, B. C. Canada