ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-10 > 1036045590

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: James SMITH b. 20/3/1830 Kelvedon, Colchester, Essex
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:26:30 -0000

Hello,

To avoid any confusion, Colchester is definitely in Essex (as in Helen's
Subject Line) and not in Sussex (as in her message). Secondly, Kelvedon is
about 10 miles from Colchester so, wondering why James should be christened
away from his birthplace, I looked him up on the IGI myself. The entry
gives no place of birth, just the date, so I wonder where "Colchester,
Sussex" comes in? The other thing is that the entry is described as "Form
submitted by a member of the LDS Church" which means that the information in
the entry probably did not come from a transcription of the parish register
for Kelvedon. (I don't imagine that entries in those registers would say
"near Colchester"). You really need to see the parish register entry, or a
direct copy of it, yourself. Many Essex parish registers are available for
sale on microfiche from the Essex Record Office. You could email them at:
and ask what is available for Kelvedon.
Hopefully they will have the particular section which covers christenings
(baptisms) for 1830.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,
David Lamb (Paignton, Devon, UK)
Interests (Essex): BAXTER, BERRY, EREY, GOLDSTONE, LAMB, MOTT, PARTRIDGE,
SARGENT, TICHBORNE, WEBB, WILLSHER
(Suffolk): BRYNGLOVE, CRISPE, FINCH, PARTRIDGE, PORTER, PRATT