ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-10 > 1035588203

From: Ruth Aylett <>
Subject: My favourite 1901 occupations
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:23:43 +0100

Apologies for those who find this a bit frivolous, but here are my favourite
occupations from various Ayletts in the 1901 census. If anyone can identify
the ones that have me foxed, please let me know...

Over Looker Cordell Factory ?a what factory - in Kent
Car Marker Arsenal Fire in Plumstead
Hard Man On Farm in Kent - OK, a head man?
Railway Ticket Printer in Willesden - _only_ railway tickets?
Amunition Maker Fire Plumstead - sounds explosive
Bur House Keeper London - beer house?
Horsemaid & Chemical Factory In West Ham - a 28 yr old bloke
Tuber Gt En Railway Plumstead yet again
Horse Cliffer Bishop's Stortford
Gas Pumfication Battersea - purification?
Castle Soap Worker In Cambridge - in a castle?

Ruth
--
Ruth Aylett Professor of Intelligent Virtual Environments
Centre for Virtual Environments, Business House, University of Salford

This thread: