ESSEX-UK-L ArchivesArchiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-09 > 1032677317
From: "G Morris" <>
Subject: Re: ABBEY LANE MEETING - SAFFRON WALDEN
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:48:37 +0100
United Reformed Church, Abbey Lane,
The original Independent Chapel or meeting house on this site was built
following the Toleration Act 1690 but a congregation was gathered here c1664
by Jonathan Paine....
A new and larger Congregational chapel was built in 1811 and later
Inside there is a three sided gallery supported on the usual thin iron
Gothic piers with an organ in an unusually handsome case at the back and a
long, dignified pulpit forming the rostrum.
There are two photos of it in "Essex Churches and Chapels" by members of the
Friends of Essex Churches.
Glynis in the middle of Essex
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Robinson"
> Who were the ABBEY LANE MEETING in Saffron Walden in the early 1800s?
Does the church or meeting house still exist?