ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1030705570

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: Show where we live? Be careful!
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:06:10 +0100

One thing I thing we need to bear in mind is that we
all reveal quite a lot about ourselves in these lists. I'm
all for that, however, elderly people living alone and
those with disabilities, for example, may need to
withhold information regarding where they live
because of their greater vulnerability to the rotten or
exploitative elements in our society. It's quite easy to
trace the exact address of someone with an
uncommon surname - or of someone living in a small
village.

Also, some listers living in Essex receive a lot of offlist
requests for help. Some have told me that they are
reluctant to say where they live for fear of receiving
such requests at times when they are unable to help
with them. For this reason - and because I like to focus
on one area at a time - I don't include where I live
every time I post, I add this selectively! Other listers
may notice that I often post items of interest about villages
I am visiting - that's the time to ask me to help you with
queries about these places, I don't always want to switch
my focus from that area to my home area.

Best wishes,

Colleen

Colleen

Colleen