ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1030455497

From: "Pam Dale" <>
Subject: Re: It would be interest me to learn why
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:38:17 +1000

Hi Lois and Listers

I don't have any convicts in my ancestry. At least not that I know of, they
all came out to Australia in the late 1800's. I feel a bit out of it. A lot
of people here are quite proud of their convict ancestors. My
brother-in-law always says he has one up on us because he has a convict
ancestor.

I started this obsession when I retired and bought a computer. My father
always said that we were descended from Anthony Ashley COOPER, Earl of
Shaftsbury. There were supposed to have been some large estates that were
to come to us but some old widower up and married a very young woman and
thereby goes the estate. I have not found evidence of that yet. Someone
had done some research about 50-60 years ago and I have come into possession
of some of the info which I have been steadily checking. We certainly
aren't descended from the seventh earl who was involved in the Industrial
Revolution. My Mum claims to be descended from Robert the Bruce of
Scotland. I rather suspect that these family stories are handed down and
maybe enlarged as time goes by.

It is certainly a very interesting hobby and takes up far too much of my
time.

Pam in sunny Brisbane Australia

Researching COOPER, BARRELL (Essex, Suffolk, and Middlesex), BAKER, HULLY,
HULLEY, PIKE