ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1030384819

From: "Stella Howlett" <>
Subject: Re: It would be interest me to learn why.......
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:07:09 -0700

I, too, started because of an unusual surname. My father--an only
son with three sisters-- was quite convinced that he was the last to
bear the family name and that it would die with him because he had
only managed to produce two daughters. I believed this until I met
someone with the same surname. Research has since shown that the
name evolved from a much more common one and that there are now
thousands of people in all parts of the world I can probably claim
as relatives if only I had the time, money and eyesight to do the
work involved.

My mother's surname, common in the southwest of England, is so rare
in East Anglia that I claim all sightings and they invariably turn
out to be mine.

My one regret is that I didn't start until everyone who could have
helped was long gone.

Stella Howlett
BC, Canada

This thread: