ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1030149743

From: "Noel Clark" <>
Subject: FW: 1861 Census of Essex is in production
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:44:03 +1000

Ian and other Listers.

Personally I'm not surprised that the "minimum order" has not been
reached. The Index to the 1861 census for Essex will be finished in just
a few months; most of the registration districts are already released
and available both on fiche and floppy disk at only 2.50 GBP per
district.

It is therefore relatively easy to use the index to go straight to the
page(s) of interest in the filmed version of the 1861.

I'm not convinced that reproducing a census on CD-ROM that has already
been indexed makes that much economic sense for the average researcher.
If you have a lot of people to check, or you are a FHS or Library,
perhaps "yes". If you don't, or are an individual not-for-profit
researcher, probably "no".

The main advantages of CD-ROM versions is that you can use them in your
own home at your own convenience, and once you have them there's
"nothing more to pay".

Regards,
Noel