ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1029931500

From: "norman.lee1" <>
Subject: Re: TWICE in the 1881 census?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:05:00 +0100

There seemed to be a lot of different agendas. Firstly, I am convinced that
many people had little idea of how old they were nor how old their children
were. How would they know if they hadn't got it written down somewhere and
perhaps couldn't read and write even if they had? Some would not have had
birth certificates and even those that had their births registered probably
hadn't got the certificates. You had to pay for them. Then there were those
whose interests weren't served by telling anyone where they were born, or
they thought they weren't. Some of those that went to London may have
wanted to disappear, lead double lives etc.

My great aunt who went to Canada always thought she was two years younger
than she really was and this was no affectation. She always quoted her age
as younger even when it was not in her interests. Consequently, her
granddaughters looked at the wrong set of photos of Barnardo's shipping
arrivals for her. She was fifteen on arrival, not thirteen as she had told
them. They must have had her birth certificate and worked it out from oral
information. But she had no need of her birth certificate. She never had a
driving licence, a bank account, a passport, or anything else that required
such a document. On her marriage certificate, she is down as two years
younger too.

Is this off-topic? Perhaps it is.

Audrey