ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1029879463

From: "Hugh Smith" <>
Subject: Re: TWICE in the 1881 census?
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:38:09 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruth Aylett" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 8:20 PM
Subject: TWICE in the 1881 census?

> After various people who seem to have escaped the 1881 census I now seem
> have someone who appears twice, once in Essex with wife and mother in law
> and once in London in same house with brother and family. The evidence for
> it being the same guy is too long to inflict on you unless you are
> interested, my question is whether anyone else has come across this?
>
> Ruth
> --

Yes, I have seen the same thing. A mother, in her 60's, listed at home with
her husband and family, and also in the neighbouring village as a visitor
with her married daughter and the daughter's family. Guess she could have
been at both places, depending on when each census form was completed. Or
maybe she was actually visiting her daughter, but her husband listed her at
home out of habit.

Hugh Smith

This thread: