ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-08 > 1028443823

From: Frederick Feather <>
Subject: Clavering Crimes
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 07:50:23 +0100

Dear Angela,

For those of you expressing interest in the case I re-read the newspaper
cuttings file from the Police Museum.

Sally Parker married Richard Chesham and they had a family. His mother
was also Sarah Chesham, so Sarah junior "Sally." Two sons Joseph 10 and
James 8 died suddenly in 1845/6. Lydia Taylor had been a maid with
farmer Thomas Newport and had had his baby. His mother threw her out.
Sally was friendly with both parties. Newport was having to give the
girl money. Sally kept appearing at the girls home, going off with the
baby and returning it very sick. Baby Solomon Taylor died when a few
months old. All bodies showed signs of arsenic poisoning. She was tried
on all three, the last jointly with Newport. The jury found they had
been poisoned but not who had done it and both were acquitted.

Sally got boastful. When her husband died in 1851 the Constabulary (Supt
John Timewell Clark) searched her home and found rice, later tested to
have a large concentration of arsenic. She was tried, convicted and
hanged for "attempted murder" at Springfield Gaol. Her son Philip who
was a witness at her trial was convicted of theft a year later. Her
sister later moved to Australia but I do not know any more about the
case. I think we stopped sending prisoners to Australia at this time.

This side-track all started because Thomas Drory was hanged at the same
time for the murder of Jael Denny, and the name Jael was a list enquiry.

Hope this interests someone.

Fred,
Chairman,
ESFH.

In message <001f01c23954$ab040a40$>, Angela Phillips
<> writes

--
Frederick Feather

This thread: