ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-07 > 1027638934

From: "Richard Goring" <>
Subject: Re: Essex Boundary clarification
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:22:15 +0100

Hi, Trudi.

Well, St Pancras always was in Middlesex, before it was swallowed up by the
expansion of London. It is not close to Walthamstow in any sense that
someone in Britain would regard as 'close'.

It was and still is quite normal for couples to marry in the bride's parish.
It sounds as though she had migrated to London (where, of course, the
streets were paved with gold - or more likely, rotten food, raw sewage and
horse manure) - most probably as a servant or shop girl.

It was probably not out of the question that there was thatching work to be
had in St Pancras at that time. But they may have met somewhere else, of
course. Does the marriage certificate not give places of residence for them
both? Or does it just say 'St Pancras'?

Hope this is of some small help.

Richard Goring
visit my website at http://www.goring1941.freeserve.co.uk for:
The Register of Essex-Related Dead of World War II (ROERDOWW2)
The South-East Essex War Memorials and Monumental Inscriptions Project
The Beard(s)more One-Name Study, also personal family history stuff
and haiku and tanka poetry (over 100 poems for your pleasure and study)