ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-07 > 1026631222

From: Frederick Feather <>
Subject: Layer Breton
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:20:22 +0100

Dear all,

As a result of a call from one of our members today we drove to Layer
Breton and we found that the pleasant little church (only 80 years old)
has no graveyard.

A nice bloke standing nearby directed us to the side of the bridge
(about a mile away) by Abberton Reservoir where we just found a thick
wood with graves (some as new as 1985) completely covered in trees.
Apparently this is where the church used to be (I do not know if they
moved it when they flooded the valley). The helpful bloke had said that
the wooden spire of the new church came off the old one. He also said
that in the garden of the house opposite him was the old Quaker burial
ground, and up on the road at the junction with Birch was a Baptist
church and yard.

Arthur Mee (King's England) hardly mentions the area. Are the graves
recorded? I am not a great user of Web-sites and am happier listening to
anecdotal material. Is there any out there? Another visit is 100 miles
plus.

Fred,
Chairman,
Essex Society for Family History.