ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-06 > 1024597317

From: "Richard Goring" <>
Subject: Re: 1831 census?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:21:57 +0100

Hi, Dorothy.

Yes, there was an 1831 Census, and 1821, 1811 and 1801 as well! BUT....

They were numerical counts only, no names being required, and (with the odd
exception) were destroyed long ago. However, most of the exceptions which
have survived do name the Head of Household at each dwelling.

Here and there, the odd parish ecclesiastical census from early years of the
19th Century has also survived. Again, these tend only to name the Head of
House.

There is one of these covering a rural part of Essex, but exactly where
eludes me at this moment. No doubt another lister can soon tell you if it
includes Boxted and/or Langahm

Richard Goring
visit my website at http://www.goring1941.freeserve.co.uk for:
The Register of Essex-Related Dead of World War II (ROERDOWW2)
The South-East Essex War Memorials and Monumental Inscriptions Project
The Beard(s)more One-Name Study, also personal family history stuff
and haiku and tanka poetry (over 100 poems for your pleasure and study)