ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-05 > 1020842406

From: "norman.lee1" <>
Subject: Re: Moral standards and literacy
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:20:32 +0100

Beware of assuming illiteracy because of 'bad spelling'. Spelling was only
standardised in the latter half of the 19th century when universal education
came in. Before that, and going back particularly into the 18th century and
before, any spelling was valid and no-one was censored for it. English was
not taught. Latin was though and was expected to be spelt properly and the
grammar carried out in a prescribed way. Hence the term 'grammar schools'.
These schools were set up to teach Latin and Greek grammar and to get their
pupils into university - Oxford and Cambridge.

Shakespeare and Raleigh signed their names in as many as forty different
ways, it is said (the mind boggles at how they achieved this!).

Audrey