ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019254954

From: "Adrian C Whittaker" <>
Subject: Re: Tiptree Heath Occupations
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:22:34 +0100

Fairly close Clive, but you are certainly right that the district/borough
level is significant. It is the level responsible for housing, health (inc.
refuse collection), leisure and most planning - and in many cases acts as
agent for the Highway Authority. It is also the district/borough level that
collects the community charge - what was known as the "rates". A bit unfair
really since most of the community charge goes off to the County Councils,
the Police and Fire Authorities. The rates paid by commercial properties
now goes to the national government, which many of the commercial companies
still fail to appreciate. One more thging - the electoral registers are
prepared and maintained by the district/boroughs.

However not all borough/district council areas are "made up of collections
of parishes", many urban areas contain no parish councils at all - for
instance my local council has civil parishes representing one fifth of the
population, within the rest of the area there are no parish/town councils.
And in Essex there will be substantial areas where there are no parish
councils.

The Unitary Councils are - technically - of County status and hold all the
local government powers normally residing in the district and the county
councils where the "two tier" system operates. I say two tier because the
powers that the parish councils have are quite slight in comparison with the
Counties and the district/boroughs. In Essex I know that Thurrock and
Southend have Unitary status (as of 1998), but I'm not sufficiently
up-to-date to comment on the rest of the county.

Cheers,
Adrian C Whittaker, in Gravesend, Kent, searching for:-
FRAIL, in 17th/18th C Herts/Bucks/Middx, but also anytime, anywhere, and
WHITTAKER in 18th/19th C Essex and 19th/20th C London

I use Archive CD Books to help with my research
http://www.archivecdbooks.com