ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019212525

From: "norman.lee1" <>
Subject: Re: Tiptree Heath Occupations
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:35:25 +0100

He was probably collecting the poor rates for the parish from the people who
were sufficiently well off to pay them. He sounds as if he may have been
either a church warden or employed by the vestry (body of men who ran the
parish) to collect the poor rate.
At this date, he could also have been employed by the Poor Law Guardians of
the local Poor Law Union. The Poor Law set-up predated most of the local
government structure as we now know it.

Audrey