ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019206202

From: "Clive Holden" <>
Subject: Re: Tiptree Heath Occupations
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:50:02 +0100
References: <>

Hello Dian

You've got it all right except you've missed out a layer of Local
Government. Between the Parish Councils and The County Council there are
Borough or District Councils. These are made up of collections of Parishes
who elect normally1-3 Councillors to serve on the Borough or District
Councils. By the way a Council achieves Borough Status if it granted a Royal
Charter and is also then entitled to a Mayor.

You can also have Town Councils as an alternative to Parish Councils in
Urban areas.

There are also Unitary Authorities which are a collection of Boroughs or
Districts that have elected to become Independant of their County Council.

I think I've got all the above right but I couldn't swear to it as I'm
writing this all from distant memory from when I was a Councillor many years

Anyway hope it helps

Clive Holden
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dian Elvin" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: Tiptree Heath Occupations

> Dear Herb
> I think I have this right. Someone will correct me if I am wrong:
> Rates in UK are the bane of all house/land owners. They are a kind of tax
> paid to the local Council (Government office) for use to pay for the
> practical things around the parish (like lighting and mending the
> - or sidewalks - etc). More important things are paid for by the County
> Council - the County being a collection of parishes - and those would be
> further taxes. Essex, the county, for example is divided into parishes.
> There are County Councillors and Parish Councillors and they both have
> elections to vote these people onto the two different Councils. A Parish
> Clerk is an important officer for the local Parish Council. He/she is not
> voted in but paid to do a job for the Parish Council. A parish being an
> area of land round a village or small town which includes the parish
> There is a Parish Council to look after all the practical things like the
> village hall, sewerage and lighting etc. The Parish clerk would deal with
> the correspondence and hand-write the minutes of the parish council
> meetings. He would also be one of the people entrusted with the job of
> enumerating the census.
> Hope this helps!
> All the best, Dian
> Now in Tarago, NSW, Australia but also an ex-rate-payer of Tackley
> Oxfordshire and a great fan of the local Parish Clerk in the 1960s. He
> looked after the parish maps which showed when the fields were "enclosed".
> Someone else may want to expand on this.
> on 18/4/02 12:34 PM, at wrote:
> > Listers
> >
> > I received from Ian Hunter information from his Directories that my
> > granfather, George Banham,was a rate collector from 1874 to at least
> > Can someone shed some light on what a rate colector did in those days?I
> > assume he was a tax colector of sorts,but I would love to know just how
> > might do his job, where he fit in the local government infrastructure
> > just anything about the tax structure in those times?
> >
> > Secondly, he was listed in 1871 as the parish clerk for Tiptree
> > Heath,presumably for St Luke's Parish Church. Could SKS who has access
to ST
> > Luke's Parish registers see what years he served in that capacity?
> >
> > Finally, Colleen Morrison provided information that he enumerated the
> > census. Could SKS who has access to the 1861, 1881 and 1891 Census for
> > area covering Tiptree check and see if he enumerated any of these
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Herb Banham
> > FL USA
> >
> > ______________________________
> ______________________________


Some files have not been scanned

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
Version: 6.0.350 / Virus Database: 196 - Release Date: 17/04/2002

This thread: