ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019193669

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: attn:Mrs Janet (LIST, PLEASE READ)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:21:09 +0100

Hello,

It doesn't have to be football - I have had similar messages from people who
say that they are government officials, directors of building companies,
inheritors of vast sums of money. I think I have had 10 altogether. (I
think that the first was the very one sent to Janet). All say that the
sender has millions of US dollars which they need to invest outside their
own country, and that if you agree to do that for them, they will give you a
proportion of the sum in recompense. It's a scam known as "Nigeria 419",
said to be the third largest "industry" in Nigeria! It has also spread to
the Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone and The Gambia.
Apparently what happens is that potential investors have to provide money
"up front", said to be for "expenses",and once they has been paid, they
never see or hear anything more!

The scan can be sent by post (usually with forged Nigerian stamps), email or
fax. For more details, see http://www.lpconline.com/Nigerian_overview.html

Don't have anything to do with it! Just delete it, and any similar messages
you may receive.

Regards,
David Lamb (Paignton, Devon, UK)
Researching (Essex): BAXTER, BERRY, EREY, GOLDSTONE, LAMB, MOTT, PARTRIDGE,
SARGENT, TICHBORNE, WEBB, WILLSHER
(Suffolk): BRYNGLOVE, CRISPE, FINCH, PARTRIDGE, PORTER, PRATT