ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019125926

From: "Antony Barber" <>
Subject: Re: Tiptree Heath Occupations
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:32:11 +0100

I would be wrong to assume that George had a purely ecclesiastical function.
As Parish Clerk he would be responsible for keeping the records of the
vestry meetings and parish records generally as well as being responsible
for collecting the rates. I note from the directories that he was also an
Assistant Overseer (of the poor). Quite a large percentage of the rates
collected from local people would be used to relieve the poor. He would
function under the Poor Law Act of 1834 and be responsible to the Poor Law
Guardians. This would be a part time job, not always one that was sought
after. He is listed as a seed grower. Probably he was one of the more
literate residents of the area and able to keep proper records.

Antony

> I received from Ian Hunter information from his Directories that my great
> granfather, George Banham,was a rate collector from 1874 to at least 1882.
> Can someone shed some light on what a rate colector did in those days?I
> assume he was a tax colector of sorts,but I would love to know just how he
> might do his job, where he fit in the local government infrastructure and
> just anything about the tax structure in those times?
>
> Secondly, he was listed in 1871 as the parish clerk for Tiptree
> Heath,presumably for St Luke's Parish Church. Could SKS who has access to
ST
> Luke's Parish registers see what years he served in that capacity?
>
> Finally, Colleen Morrison provided information that he enumerated the 1871
> census. Could SKS who has access to the 1861, 1881 and 1891 Census for
the
> area covering Tiptree check and see if he enumerated any of these census?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Herb Banham
> FL USA

This thread: