ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019089393

From: "Noel Clark" <>
Subject: FW: Batch Numbers
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:25:55 +1000

Jayne, the point about children dying in childhood is this. The IGI (and
of course, the parish records from which it has been compiled) contains
many baptisms of children who subsequently died without ever marrying or
having children.

The fact that you find on the IGI a baptism of a person of the name you
are looking for, even in the parish that you believe is the one, does
NOT mean that that person survived to marry and have issue, and does not
mean that he/she is your ancestor. Many children died in infancy. It was
also frequently the case that there were several different people of the
same name in the same parish, and plenty more in adjoining parishes.
The commoner the name, the bigger the problem!

The IGI simply does not, except in very few cases, contain burials or
deaths.

It is essential to examine the original parish records to determine who
has died. Not only that, looking at the PR enables you to see, in many
cases, much more than is listed on the IGI. Marital status of marriage
partners, children born to people of the same name but described as
"Senior" or "Junior", people referred to as "son of", "daughter of",
"wife of", or "widow", and so much more that I can't begin to list. Some
PRs contain much, much more, where the vicar annotated the entries with
additional information, such as the maiden name of a wife and so on.

Permit me to give you an example.

If you look up in the IGI you will find an Elnathan BLOSSE baptised 30
Nov 1665 at Freston, Suffolk. You will also find an Elnathan BLOSSE
married Ann CANT 25 August 1701 at Freston.

What the IGI DOES NOT tell you is that the Elnathan BLOSSE baptised on
30th November 1665 was buried on 12th April 1667.

So, a family tree showing Elnathan BLOSSE baptised 1665 as having issue
would be quite incorrect.

I'm sorry, but it is not possible to draw up an authoritative and
accurate family tree without looking at the original records.

Regards,
Noel