ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-04 > 1019023347

From: "Stella Howlett" <>
Subject: Re: Batch Numbers
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:10:11 -0700

Jayne,

Any deaths that you see in the IGI are from private submissions and
are not always very reliable. Often they are just guesses. The LDS
aren't interested in deaths or burials, and their controlled
extractions don't include either of them. The IGI should only ever be
used as a direction pointer. As one lister has pointed out, one can
very easily compile generations one's family tree using the IGI
without realising that one or two of those links actually died in
infancy or childhood. The IGI is not a substitute for actual research
in the parish records.

Regards,

Stella Howlett
BC, Canada