ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-03 > 1016025423

From: "John Henley" <>
Subject: Re: PITOIS and GAUD
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:17:03 -0000

Hi Jayne,
----- Original Message ----- From: "jayne perry"
<>
> I like your referral to anything "leathery"!>
> I have my Grandmother's birth certificate in front of me and it says that
> she was born in 1808 at 32 Windmill street.
> Her father is listed as a commercial (I can't read the next word)
Traveller? Salesman? Agent?
>leather
> goods.
> Their residence is listed as " The Roses, Ambleside Drive,
Southend-on-Sea".
> On my Grandmothers marriage cert. in 1931 it says Louis Gaud is a Leather
> manufacturer.
> I think he made "hand bags" as I have a photo of My Grandmother and her
> sister with "handbags" made by "Dad".
If he was a handbag maker he was likely to be employed by others and fail to
appear in a commercial directory. If he was a manufacturer in the accepted
sense of the term he was likely to employing others.
But on a certificate 'manufacturer' (literally maker-by-hand' - IIRC) and so
strictly speaking true sounds so much better than maker :-)
Certificates often seem to aggrandise occupations!
Try looking in Directory or map for Leather Goods Manufacturers for possible
employment, though if an agent or traveller he may have represented a firm
in London or further away.
Cheers

John Henley
(still catching up on masses of emails )
using Archive CDs - see
http://www.archivecdbooks.org
and researching (and not finding much time for - but always very glad to
hear of any)
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[IN London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [IN Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [IN Staffs/Cambs/Berks]

> > Do you have any more ideas that I can try please?
> > Thanks,
> > Jayne
>
> ----- Original Message -----> From: "Ian Hunter"
<>
> > I've looked in the 1902 Kelly's for Essex and there are no GAUDs doing
> > anything leathery in that either.

This thread: