ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2001-12 > 1008669135

From: Frederick Feather <>
Subject: Re: North Shoebury?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:52:15 +0000

Dear Brenda,

Shoeburyness (both parts) was transferred from the Essex County
Authority to that of the County Borough of Southend on Sea in 1933 and
is still part of that borough.

In 1821 Southend (now 200000 people) was a tiny fishing village. The
nearest market town was Rochford, from where the main road ran to
London. It is close to the mouth of the river Thames, and where that
joins the sea on the south bank, there is a headland. That is South
Shoebury and it was an Artillery Garrison from the middle of the 19th
century. A mile or so inland is North Shoebury. They have sea on one
side and the mouth of the Thames on the other. The local churches will
help identify them on a map. The rear is as flat as a pancake and nearby
there were many smugglers. There is a history of the Rochford Hundred
administrative area, which includes the village you want.

Hope this is a change from map locations.

Regards,

Fred,
Chairman, Essex Society for Family History.

In message <001501c186a9$2c3ee940$>, Brenda Koster
<> writes

--
Frederick Feather

This thread: