ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2001-07 > 0995293332

Subject: Fwd: how long between birth & baptism?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:22:12 EDT

--part1_d7.93b382c.28845294_boundary

writes:

<< The letter of the law stated " defer not the baptism of their children
longer than the first or second Sunday after their birth, or other Holy day
falling between, unless upon a great and reasonable cause, to be approved by
the Curate". I think baptism became compulsory, at least in theory, in
about 1660.

What law, and where was it published? And when was it allowed to lapse, as
baptism is not compulsory now - or is it?

Hugh Smith ()

--part1_d7.93b382c.28845294_boundary