ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2001-07 > 0995262521

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: how long between birth & baptism?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 06:48:41 +0100

Hello,
I have read many replies to the question and the subsequent one headed
"Question for the list", but although Glynis Morris and one other reply
mentioned non-conformists, no one (so far) has suggested that the parents
could have been baptists, in which case they wouldn't have their children
christened. (I must stress though that it is wrong to say, as some people
do, that "Baptists only baptise adults". Rather, they believe that baptism
is a sign which follows belief, so the person asking to be baptised would
have to be old enough to be a Christian believer, but not necessarily an
adult).

Regarding the original question from Lina, the other sources to try to
establish the age/ birth year of Sophia include census returns, marriage
certificate and death certificate, but of course these would only give an
approximate birthdate.

Regards,
David Lamb (Paignton, Devon, UK)
Researching (Essex): BAXTER, BERRY, EREY, GOLDSTONE, LAMB, PARTRIDGE,
SARGENT, WEBB, WILLSHER
(Suffolk): BRYNGLOVE, CRISPE, FINCH, PARTRIDGE, PORTER, PRATT