ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2001-04 > 0986754933

From: "Norman Lee" <>
Subject: Re: Crooked Billet
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:35:33 +0100

I've heard it said that gibbets were away from habitation and at crossroads
so that the ghost of the hanged person wouldn't know which way to go to find
his/her way home or to whoever he/she wished to haunt. The other idea was
that seeing a hanged person would put off anyone who had crime in mind.

Audrey