ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2001-04 > 0986332500

From: "Katy" <>
Subject: Re: Graveyard/cemetery re-use
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:15:00 +0100

I read your email with interest. One question , who makes a decision as to
when a grave has not been visited. Some relatives may go once a year, they
may be too old (as is my great aunt) to do any clearing of the grave and not
be able to pay the fee. If like at Woodgrange Cemetery there is no one
there week-ends, how do they know it has not been visited? Answer - they
don't. I can envisage that if the government are allowed to go ahead with
their reburial scheme it will be down to relatives to police graves. At
Woodgrange they were unable to lift coffins out of graves, so how do the
authorities intend to ensure that coffins are removed intact, they cannot.
Therefore they would have to put more soil on top of the existing grave and
this could not be done on a grave to grave basis. I sincerely hope that
more consideration is given to this scheme than the lip service paid trying
to find relatives at Woodgrange. The Act of Parliament has not been
complied with, but no one in authority is going to take any action to
preserve the dignity or show respect to those removed at Woodgrange.

Katie