ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2000-09 > 0968771609

From: <>
Subject: Re: Woodham Ferrers
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:13:29 +0100

Hi Maree,

Depending on the era you are speaking about, and when exactly your
ancestors migrated, it may be relevant to note that the railway directly
links South Woodham Ferrers with Burnham & Southminster. The succession of
stations on the line is (if I remember correctly - it's a while since I
took this train!)
1 - terminus Southminster
2 Burnham
3 Althorne
4 N Fambridge
5 S Woodham Ferrers
6 Wickford - change for Southend on Sea/London Liverpool street (unless you
are lucky enough to get one of the rare straight through trains!)

From Burnham to S Woodham would be around a 30 minute journey today by
train, or even less on a good day! By car today it's around a 20 minute
drive along some atrocious bends.

I don't know if Danbury was ever on the railway, but I don't think it is
now. I know Maldon used to be, and the line was subsequently closed.

Cheers
Liz
---------------------- Forwarded by Elizabeth Price/LON/PutnamInv on