ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2000-04 > 0955597425

From: "C.O.Hurrell" <>
Subject: Re: Census lookups
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:43:45 +1200

ANNE MAJOR wrote:

> Further to the posting by John Henley of 12th April, there is a full
> census
> surname index on fiche for the whole of Essex for the 1851 census, the
> only
> one missing is Dunmow as the census for 1851 was destroyed by fire.
> These
> can be obtained from the Essex Record Office.
> Anne - Oz
Forgot to include -Sorry-----
I thought I should let the list know the following important
information. According to the Essex RO Genealogicial Resources
Guide (my ed. is 1996) the following parishes are not covered by the
1851 census because the original enumerators books did not
survive. (I read that they were destroyed in a fire??).

Here are the parishes in question -
Aythorpe Roding
Bardfield Saling
Barnston
Broxted
Chickney
Felstead
Great Bardfield
Great Canfield
Great Dunmow
Great Easton
Hatfield Broad Oak
High Easter
High Roding
Leaden Roding
Lindsell
Little Bardfield
Little Canfield
Little Dunmow
Little Easton
Margaret Roding
Stebbing
Takeley
Thaxted
Tilty
White Roding

I have ancestors in Great and Little Bardfield and the 1851 census
would have helped me as most of my lot emigrated to Aust. in 1851,
1853 and 1855!! They were bricklayers, so I supposed that I have
encountered the proverbial brick wall!!

I will have to unsubscribe tomorrow as I will be going on school
holidays until May 3. (I only have email at work - I work at a
school!). I will re-subscribe on my return and post my interests then
and may ask SKS to help obtain some information for me f
rom Essex RO. Hope there are some helpers out there!!

I hope the above has helped some people. I have written to Bill off
line.

Thanks,
Helen Sullivan
>From an overcast, with rain predicted Sunshine Coast, Queensland,