ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2000-04 > 0955597274

From: "C.O.Hurrell" <>
Subject: Re: Census lookups
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:41:14 +1200

ANNE MAJOR wrote:

> Further to the posting by John Henley of 12th April, there is a full
> census
> surname index on fiche for the whole of Essex for the 1851 census, the
> only
> one missing is Dunmow as the census for 1851 was destroyed by fire.
> These
> can be obtained from the Essex Record Office.
> Anne - Oz
I refer you to Helen's contribution -below- it is for real , as I my
HURRELLs were Felsted based for yonks and 1851 was the year my great
grandfather left to voyage to Canterbury ,NZ. The absence of this Census
held me up for a long time and I had to get round it circuitously(now
there is a word).
Good luck to all who have relied on the destroyed data.
Incidentally, the other hold up was a modern vicar at Great Leighs , who
would not let the Church registers from his hold for a long time.
ClydeH
The Grounded Kiwi

This thread: