ENG-TODMORDEN-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-TODMORDEN > 2002-04 > 1019821059

From: Andrea Calman <>
Subject: FW: [ENG-TOD] BARKER families of Todmorden and Walsden
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:38:01 +0100

I have the following information on John Barker (of Stansfield Hall) if it's of any use. I have an interest in him because he used to live in our house, but I'm particularly interest in the Wrigleys of Walsden if any one has any info. There is a picture of John Barker in the Todmorden Album.

Regards
Andrea

Individual Detail

Subject* __ ___ ____John Barker (195)
Name-Var: __ ___ 1896Councillor
Name-Var: __ ___ 1896C.C.
Name-Var: aft __ ___ 1899?JP

Father* Luke Barker (194) (b. 26 Sep 1843, d. 15 Jul 1896)
Mother* Sarah A Barker (278) (b. 1835, )

Note* __ ___ ____A cotton manufacturer and a church official, John had a distinguished background and had had the privilege of singing in the choirs at two Coronations - those of Edward V11 i n 1902 and George V in 1911.
Birth* __ ___ 1864Walsden, Lancashire.

Note: __ ___ 1872joined the Todmorden Parish Church Choir.

Cen_Occ* 03 Apr 1881Mechanic.
Cen-Enum* 03 Apr 1881Victoria Road (House) (419) ; Claremont Villas, Victoria Road, Stansfield, Todmorden, Yorkshire; Son.

Occupation* __ Jun 1890Luke Barker & Sons (Business) (420) (b. Jun 1890); Partner and Mechanic.

Note: 30 Oct 1896Town Hall, Todmorden, Lancashire; A mass meeting of the Liberals of the Central Ward was held at the Town Hall, with but a moderate attendance. Mr Omerod, J.P. presided, supported by Alderman Caleb Hoyle, Councillor John Barker, J.P., Messrs. Sugden Sutcliffe, F.R.G.S., W. Jackson, T. West, John Dawson, Barker Clegg, J.S. Widdup, E. Wood, R. Gibson, Josh. Helliwell, A. Newell, Rev. E. Parry, B.A., and Rev. G. Rice. Several lengthy speeches were made, that of Mr J. Barker, C.C., J.P. being most noticeable.
Anecdote* 28 Nov 1899A grand concert, promoted by the Parish Church Choir, took place in the Town Hall, which was well filled. The chief attraction was a "Mustel" organ, the property of Mr. John Barker, of Stansfield Hall, Mr. James Munroe Coward, of London, being engaged to play the organ.
Note: Mustel organ :- keyboard instrument of the American organ type, invented by V. Mustel (1815-90).
Anecdote: __ ___ 1902Sang in the choir at the Coronation of Edward VII.
Residence* 1906 to 1914Home; Stansfield Hall (House) (369) ; "Stansfield Hall", Todmorden, Yorkshire; John Barker continued to live at Stansfield Hall after his fathers death in 1896, until 1914 when it was divided into four separate residences.
Anecdote: __ ___ 1911Sang in the choir at the Coronation of George V.
Residence* __ ___ 1922Home; Thornhill (House) (304) (b. circa 1886); "Thornhill", Todmorden, Lancashire; John lived at Thornhill during 1922, although it is not known for how long (possibly since 1914?).

Reference= (Deceased) Children=0

SEX=M
LIVING=N
BIRTHORDER=1