ENG-TODMORDEN-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-TODMORDEN > 2002-04 > 1019648131

From: "Linda" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-TOD] Sutcliffe and Taylor families of Todmorden and Walsden
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:37:39 +0100

Hi Anne and everyone,
I have a collection of entries in all the census returns for Walsden which I
am willing to share. I have some Sutcliffes, Taylors and Newhalls for Anne.
Is it OK if I send these by attachment in a word doc? I have just done a
virus scan and my computer is clean.
Linda

ANNE WROTE:

Hello to everybody on the Todmorden mailing list!

According to the 1881 census, my great, great grandfather, Richard
Sutcliffe, and his wife, Betty Taylor, were both born in Todmorden, and I am
trying to find out more about them and their families and ancestors at the
time when they were in Todmorden. I wonder whether anyone else on the
mailing list might be related too, or at least might have some more
information as a result of their own research.

Richard Sutcliffe was 10 years old in the 1851 census, and lived in
'Lanebottom', Walsden, and was born in Walsden, as were the rest of his
family. He had brothers Abraham, 8, and Thomas, 7, and a sister Hannah,
aged 1. Their parents were Samuel and Betty Sutcliffe, 33 and 32 years.
Samuel was a stone mason, and Betty was a hand loom weaver (cotton).
Richard was also a hand loom weaver. In the 1881 census, I also found
another sister and brother of Richard, who were not born by the time of the
1851 census: John Sutcliffe, 29 in 1881, and Alice Sutcliffe, 15 in 1881,
both born in Walsden, but living in York by 1881.

I have the marriage certificate of Richard Sutcliffe and Betty Taylor. They
married at the York Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Todmorden, by which
time Richard Sutcliffe had moved to 4 Stephens Street, Rochdale, and was a
teacher of music, but Betty Taylor, 25 years old and a card room hand, was
living in Knowlwood Bottom, Walsden. Her father was James Taylor, a
twister, and the two witnesses were Thomas Butterworth and Hannah Dawson. I
haven't found Betty and her father James Taylor on the 1851 census yet, and
I haven't looked at any other Todmorden censuses apart from part of the
Todmorden/Walsden 1851 census and the 1881 census.

I think Richard was born in April or May 1841, and his wife Betty Taylor
should have been born between about April 1836 and April 1837.

By the time of the 1881 census, Richard Sutcliffe and his wife Betty (and
his widowed mother Betsy or Betty) had moved to York, where he was a hotel
keeper, and he also had a music shop at another address in York, where his
wife Betty or Betsey was listed as a piano dealer's wife.

I think that Richard's sister Hannah Sutcliffe married Robert Newell in the
Todmorden registration district during the quarter of the year ending in
December 1873, but I do not have any other details of this marriage, apart
from finding them together in the 1881 census in Stansfield, Yorkshire.
Richard's brother Abraham Sutcliffe, a publican in 1881, married Sarah Ellen
Broadbent in the Halifax registration district during the quarter of the
year ending March 1871. Again, I do not have further details of this
marriage, although I have found them in York in the 1881 census, and in
this, it says their two children were born in Halifax.

If you can help by providing any more information, or if you think you are
related to any of these families, or if any of these details were useful to
you, please let me know. I live more than 200 miles away from Todmorden, so
it is difficult for me to access some of the sources of information.

Best wishes,

Anne