ENG-NTH-PETERBOROUGH-AREA-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-NTH-PETERBOROUGH-AREA > 2008-03 > 1206140261

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [PETERBRO] Robert MILLER, Gentleman Will - lots of names
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:57:41 +0000

Hello John & Listers !

I found this Will of Robert MILLER very interesting as it is just
over 3 years
older than the Will of my GGG-Grandfather Robert PARTRIDGE who farmed
at Newark, Peterborough and who died 7th July 1807. You may remember
that
you gave me a lot of useful advice and help about a year ago with
that Will and
also the tracing of his parents who had married at Marholm before
they moved
to Whaplode Drove ?

I have checked carefully through all the names in this MILLER Will
and cannot
find any direct links, although I suspect that they were mostly close
neighbours
of my ancestor ! The only name that I find occurring in both your
Wills and mine
is that of William CRISP who receives a bequest in the MILLER Will
and is an
Executor in Robert PARTRIDGE's Will:-

"I Robert Partridge of Newark in the County of Northampton Yeoman
do make this my last Will and Testament in Manner following (that is
to say) first I give and devise unto William Crisp of Peterborough in
the
County of Northampton Draper and William Gates of Peterborough
aforesaid Attorney at Law All and every my Freehold and Copyhold
Messuages..........." <snip>

and then at the End:-

And then in a different handwriting :-

"On the fourth day of December 1807 William Crisp and William Gates
the Executors named in the within Will were then sworn well and
faithfully
to perform the same and that the deceased at the time of his death
was not
possessed of a personal Estate to the amount of Four hundred and fifty
Pounds
before me
Wm.
Strong Archdn."

So not a great deal of help to you, I'm afraid, apart from the fact
that William CRISP
was a Draper ? - maybe it could be a clue of some sort ? - and he was
obviously
a person of standing that several people trusted !

I hope this helps ! Best Wishes ! Roger PARTRIDGE,
Surbiton, Surrey.

This thread: