ENG-MERSEYSIDE-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-MERSEYSIDE > 2008-11 > 1225749425

From: "Dawn & Keith Thornton" <>
Subject: [ENG-MERSEYSIDE] Passengers returning to the UK
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:57:05 -0500

Hi All:

I have some questions regarding British subjects returning to the UK from
America.

Two of my ancestors Hilda M. Anderson (b. Abt. 1888 in Gosforth,
Northumberland) and her son William (b. 1912 in Boldon, Durham) returned
from West Virginia landing at Liverpool in July 1924 after William Sr. died
in 1923. Their new UK address was given as 8 Kelvin Rd., Birkenhead.

Does anyone know or could point me in the right direction to search myself,
whether this was likely to be a residence or was it simply the address where
passengers might go upon arrival? I notice that Kelvin road is quite near
the docks.

Also, would anyone know if the remains of deceased individuals could be
transported home and, if so, would that be noted on a ship manifest? I'm not
sure that his remains would come with them a year after his death but I have
data on other family members coming home shortly after William Sr.'s
accident.

If, indeed, these two settled in Birkenhead, I'd be interested in sharing
information with anyone who might recognize these as family. Although I have
not found data to support the fact, I wonder if one or both eventually
married in the area.

Thanks

Keith Thornton

Ontario, Canada